[OTDev] OpenTox ontology work, schema, vocabulary, community resource

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Thu Jul 2 11:06:19 CEST 2009

Hello Harsha:

Thanks for your email and we would be interested in collaborating with
you. Such a collaboration and community approach is a core value in our
mission and philosophy - OpenTox is also an Open Community.

What particular aspects of the ontology work are relevant to your
research? What directions have you for your thesis work? If you can give
more insight on your work, we could get clearer how to work better with you.

I enclose here a copy of our initial ontology report from February this
year.  We have subsequently successfully mapped several databases to
ToxML schema and have agreed to support and develop the standard as part
of the OpenTox data archictecture.  Our intial API specs should be
cleaned up on the website in a few days, and we will send a notice out.

You will also note the vocabulary work of IBMC in Appendix D.  Other
partners (ISS, Fraunhofer, Ideaconsult) have also being working on the
data resources area for OpenTox.

We are currently building a new Plone-based website which is currently
in beta and have agreed to include a community-based vocabulary area for
contributions from all members in the community there, but subject to
curation and scientific review.  So it will kind of be like a
peer-reviewed wikipedia on predictive toxicology.

We could also setup a virtual conference later this summer to get
introduced to you, ... and it could be good to have a discussion focus
on the ontology work.

best regards
Barry

Barry Hardy PhD
Director, Community of Practice & Research Activities
and OpenTox Project Coordinator (http://www.opentox.org/)
Douglas Connect LLC, Switzerland
Email: barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Tel: +41 61 851 0170