[OTDev] ARFF mime type

Christoph Helma helma at in-silico.de
Mon Sep 28 14:11:03 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I think at the present stage we should focus on finalizing and using our
internal data exchange format (which should contain URIs, not raw data).
At a later stage of the project we may cater for a better communication
with the outside world, by providing import/export facilities (which
may include arff, cml, sdf, ...). These conversion facilties can run as
a separate webservice, which would avoid multiple implementations of the
same feature in our webservices.

For the format I would prefer YAML (lightweight, human readable, easy
(de)serialisation of datastructures), but I think we will have to
provide XML too.

As datastructure I would suggest a hash with compound_uris as keys and
arrays of feature_uris as values. In YAML this would look like:

compound1_uri:
	- feature1_uri
	- feature2_uri
	- ...
compound2_uri:
	- feature1_uri
	- feature3_uri
	- ...

A question to the XML guys: Is there a canonical way to represent such a
datastructure in XML?