[OTDev] Opentox RESTful Resources

richard apodaca rich_apodaca at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 30 18:08:39 CEST 2009

--- On Tue, 9/29/09, Nina Jeliazkova <nina at acad.bg> wrote:

> Sorry, the correct link to implemented services  is
> http://opentox.org/toxicity-prediction/opentoxservices
> > New version, currently under revision
> > http://opentox.org/dev/apis/api-1.1/?searchterm=API
> >
> > One note - if the information above is hard to find
> and not obvious
> > where to look for, we indeed would need to reorganize
> at least the front
> > page of OpenTox site.

Thanks for the link. But it looks like a list of services.

What I'm actually after is a list of resources, in the REST sense of the word - a domain model if you will.

For example, a "resource" in this context might be "Prediction".

When we talk about making a Prediction, a lot of other concepts go with that. For example, we might perform a Prediction on a Substance or a Dataset. That Dataset might be composed of Items, for example. The Substance may in turn be composed of Components. It's these domain concepts and how they're aggregated that make a domain model. Only with a domain model in hand can you start thinking about resources.

The point is not to get bogged down in the details, but rather to create a common language for toxicity prediction. A language that can be understood by domain experts (Toxicologists, in vivo pharmacologists) and developers alike.

So far, I haven't found anything like this for OpenTox. If there is no such thing, how interested would the OpenTox group be in developing one?

Best,
Rich

Richard L. Apodaca

http://depth-first.com      Blog