[OTDev] Activity and involvement of the community in OpenTox technical discussions

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Tue Oct 6 20:02:13 CEST 2009

Dear All:

After much travel this month, I see a significant amount of discussion
with regards to technical issues is now happening on the OpenTox
development list and has been filling my mail box :).  It is excellent
to see contributions from "external developers at large" such as Egon,
Richard, Rajarshi, Joerg etc starting - they are so valuable and I hope
to see them growing.  Please let other Open Source developers know they
are welcome to join this collaborative effort.  It would be particularly
encouraging to see an OpenTox API compliant service beyond the initial
FP7 partners surfacing in months to come :)!  And that we include and
support the best efforts in the community at large ourselves, which I am
sure we will do.

IMHO OpenTox will only be truly successful if it embraces a truly gobal
community approach, and we figure out how to collaborate together with
many stakeholders (and including commerical - we need I believe to
support companies and jobs at the end of the day!), and that needs
practical sustainable models.  In that sense we should appreciate the
advantage that transparency brings to alternative testing approaches in
predictive toxicology that industry and regualators are sorely needing
and indeed increasingly demanding.  We should also be quicker, better,
faster through the enabling of our Open Source and Open Access
approaches in creating a "Linux foundation" for this emerging and
growing field. Yet, we have many myths and conservative "religious
beliefs" in the scientific community to overcome.

I will prepare a presentation on OpenTox developments for the session on
in silico/in vitro tox for the InnovationWell meeting in Philadelphia
next week (http://innovationwell.net/comty_confprog09predtox) in coming
days.  I will be very happy to include contributions and opinions from
external developers - just let me know you are happy to be includued
etc. and on what opinions/points/developments you have yourselves etc.
you might like included.

And keep the momentum going here!
best wishes
Barry