[OTDev] POST for feature selection

Christoph Helma helma at in-silico.de
Mon Oct 12 12:21:30 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Tobias Girschick's message of Thu Oct 08 15:29:01 +0200 2009:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 16:03 +0200, Christoph Helma wrote:
> > Excerpts from chung's message of Mon Oct 05 17:43:19 +0200 2009:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > In API 1.0, there is no POST for feature selection algorithms. I propose
> > > the following RESTful operation:
> > >
> > > ***POST /algorithm/preprocessing/featureselection/{feat_sel_algorithm_id}
> >
> > I agree in principle, but I would separate the algorithm ontology from
> > the algorithm webservices (see my proposal for the API 1.1
> > http://opentox.org/dev/apis/api-1.1/Algorithm),
>
> I am not totally clear how you envision the algorithm ontology. Here
> http://opentox.org/dev/apis/api-1.1/Algorithm you propose that a
> GET on /algorithm/{id} returns an algorithm_ontology_uri. Could you
> specify what I do get back from something like that:
>
> GET /algorithm_ontology/{id}
>
> Would this return the XML (or whatever we choose) representation of the
> algorithm?

In principle yes. Another (maybe more intuitive) option would be to get
the algorithm representation by

GET /algorithm/{id}: returns algorithm representation

and to use the algorithm ontology to search for algorithms e.g.

GET /algorithm-ontology/learning/classification: returns URIs for all classification algorithms (or a representation of the the learning/classification subtree)
GET /algorithm-ontology/preprocessing: returns URIs for all preprocessing algorithms (or a representation of the the preprocessing subtree)

This would require of course, that the algorithm representation uses the same ontology as the algorithm-ontology webservice.