[OTDev] Feature API

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Fri Nov 6 19:42:26 CET 2009

Christoph, All,

Just to note literals for feature values might not be sufficient,
especially for data mining algorithms. (We had already identified the
need of data type with a recent discussion with  Tobias and Pantelis ).

There is an extensive support for data types in RDF

<?xml version="1.0"?>

         xmlns:ex="http://example.org/stuff/1.0/">

  <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/item01">

    <ex:size
rdf:datatype="*http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int*">123</ex:size>

  </rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>

  And the hierarchy of built-in data types according to W3C
  Recommendation 28 October 2004 за XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes Second
  Edition at http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2

Diagram of built-in type hierarchy

I'll send another email about feature definitions. If we consider them
replaced by predicates, these predicates needs still to be defined with
RDF , including, names, units, authors, references, etc.