[OTDev] Java Examples for Dataset Creation/statistics/validation

Martin Guetlein martin.guetlein at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 9 14:16:19 CET 2009

Hi Nina, All,

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Nina Jeliazkova <nina at acad.bg> wrote:
> Hi Pantelis,
>
> chung wrote:
>> Hi Nina,
>>  At http://www.opentox.org/data/documents/development/RDF%
>> 20files/AlgorithmTypes/view?searchterm=Algorithm%20Types%20ontology (the
>> ontology for all algorithm types we use in OT), all algorithm types,
>> appear to be Resources, not Literals. However in
>> http://www.opentox.org/data/documents/development/RDF%
>> 20files/JavaOnly/JenaExamples , the object which answers the question:
>>
>> <http://myservice.com/algorithm/id>
>> <http://www.opentox.org/api/1.1#isA> ?obj
>>
>> is a literal. The corresponding triple is:
>>
>> Subject:
>> http://opentox.ntua.gr:3000/algorithm/mlr
>> Predicate:
>> http://www.opentox.org/api/1.1#isA
>> Object:
>> "http://www.opentox.org/algorithmTypes.owl#RegressionEagerSingleTarget"
>>
>> Is this correct? If yes, should we use literals in that case or
>> resources?
>>

> |Should be resources,  not literals (the Range of isA property is a
> resource).  I'll update the example ASAP.
>> The same holds for the supported statistics. The java code snippet
>> produces an RDF which includes the triple:
>>
>> http://opentox.ntua.gr:3000/algorithm/mlr
>> http://www.opentox.org/api/1.1#statisticsSupported
>> "statistics-1"^^http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string
>>
>> Shouldn't the object
>> ("statistics-1"^^http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string ) be a Resource
>> instead of a string? Was it a Resource, one assign propertied on it -
>> For example one could declare its type etc.
>>
> In the current opentox.owl supported statistics are simply literals
> (just to follow the old XML spec), but I agree it will be better if
> "statisticsSupported" are indeed resources.
> On another note, statisticsSupported are closely related to the
> Validation service, which already has defined several statistics,
> specific to classification and regression models.  I am not sure how/if
> Validation service (or another client or service) uses the information
> from "statisticsSupported" field, but it would be good if this
> information is somehow exploited.
>
> Tobias, Martin, what do you think?

I don't quite understand what the statisticsSupported flag is about.
In the example on the overview page
(http://www.opentox.org/data/documents/development/RDF%20files/Overview)
the svm algorithm supports all the regression statistics listed in the
validation object so far. Would it not be enough to state that it is a
regression algorithm (then the RegressionStatistics object in the
validation result will be set)?
Or do I misinterpret the functionality? If so, could you give an example?

This leads to another question regarding validation. AFAIK there is no
regression/classification flag in prediction models(?). That's why I'm
planning to distinguish between regression and classification via data
type of the prediction feature (numerical -> regression, else
classification). Do you think that's sufficient?

Best regards,
Martin