[OTDev] Some Questions

chung chvng at mail.ntua.gr
Sat Dec 19 13:53:56 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 11:59 +0200, Nina Jeliazkova wrote:
> Dear Pantelis, All,
>
> chung wrote:
> > However...
> >
> > * When building a new model, the service has to generate a new feature
> > that will be used as a pointer to the predictions made by this model. Is
> > this operation implemented?
> >

> Provided we don't have currently API for creating new features (these
> are more or less embedded in datasets), there are two options I can
> think of:
>
> 1) Extend the API to include Feature creation (independent of a
> dataset), e.g. /feature POST rdf-representation-of-a-feature  (similar
> to feature_definition POST in API 1.0)

The current version of the API (see
http://opentox.org/dev/apis/api-1.1/Feature ) includes that operation.
The client posts an RDF representation and creates a new feature URI.

> 2) Embed the RDF representation of the new feature into the RDF
> representation of the dataset, which is then POST-ed to a dataset service.
>
> e.g. if a feature is described with triples  and there is no feature
> URI, the dataset service will assume a new feature is to be created;

That's also a solution, but the embedded feature will not be globally
accessible. I think the first solution is better.

> In fact the two options are not mutually exclusive, with the first more
> generic and the later requiring a single POST call to the dataset
> service, instead of two (one for feature creation  and one for posting a
> dataset).

Indeed in the first case we need two requests but the feature creation
will not be very time consuming and the Content-length the client has to
post is not that big, so I think the first option is not prohibitive.

> Are there any preferences?

I'm in favor of the first solution. So if there are no objections I
think we should proceed this way (because we're running out of time...)

Best Regards
Pantelis