[OTDev] Fwd: SW Development process...SL update

Rajarshi Guha rajarshi.guha at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 16:56:07 CET 2009

When I implemented a R-based stats web service infrastructure (
http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ci700188u and
http://www.chembiogrid.org/projects/proj_statistics.html) my approach was to
have an Rserve instance running somewhere (in our case it was on a remote
machine that stored our pre-built models). The web based application
(originally Axis based SOAP but I think IU has now provided more RESTful
wrappers or implementations) would then send queries to the Rserve instance.

As a result of this, we only needed a single Rserve instance running
independent of the frontend (which was a web page but could have been
anything), rather than multiple instances being started up. You can see the
code for this at
http://cicc-grid.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cicc-grid/cicc-grid/rws/trunk/

More recently, in support of the Open Notebook Solubility Challenge, I
looked at an alternative approach based on mod_python based web
applications. In this case, I used the rpy2 Python package to interface to
R, to load models and get solubility predictions. A very nice API, and
somewhat simpler than my original Rserve based solution, but it does imply
that each time the app is run, an R instance is reloaded (I'm not sure that
I could share instances between sessions). See
http://github.com/rajarshi/rest-ws/tree/master/predict/ for code

One other approach, that I haven't explored yet is the use of rapache, which
is a DSO for Apache that runs R. In this approach, you'd avoid the start up
cost of R instances, since they'd already be running.Furthermore, you could
easily serve up pages directly from R code.