[OTDev] Update Auth&Auth

chung chvng at mail.ntua.gr
Tue Mar 23 17:11:22 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 16:43 +0100, Andreas Maunz wrote:
> Hi Surajit,
>
> surajit ray wrote on 03/23/2010 04:30 PM:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > In the scenario that a user action (authenticated by OpenSSO using token) is
> > carried out by a web server within the OpenTox framework ... would the web
> > server accessing a secondary server, within OpenTox, use the same user token
> > OR have a separate authentication token/mechanism for conversations between
> > these servers (registered within the OpenTox framework ) ?
> >
> > The issue is with asynchronous tasks - once a task is started it will go
> > through a series of steps involving other servers. For such a task if we are
> > using the user token for backend authentication - the task may fail ...
> > since the token will be invalidated after a time perdiod (I sure hope it
> > does !). In that scenario isn't it better to have a separate authentication
> > for server chat ?
>
> The token will be invalidated indeed (this is configurable).
> You are raising an important question, and we will have to decide in a
> discussion which route to take.
> Also, we will perhaps decide for specific services in a different way
> than for others.

I think the problem is solved if:
* A service can call another service providing the username of the user
that triggered the operation and services recognize each-other by their
IPs+MAC address+whatever
* Clients outside the OpenTox net of services, acquire a token from the
a/a service which can be used within a certain time period but is needed
only once to perform an operation (Which implies that services do not
reproduce the token but some persistent property of the user)

What do you think?

Regards,
Pantelis