[OTDev] Update Auth&Auth

Andreas Maunz andreas at maunz.de
Wed Mar 24 09:46:58 CET 2010

Hi all,

chung wrote on 03/23/2010 05:11 PM:
> I think the problem is solved if:
> * A service can call another service providing the username of the user
> that triggered the operation and services recognize each-other by their
> IPs+MAC address+whatever

OpenSSO also supports policy conditions based on IP addresses:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-3885/gipxm?a=view

Here are some more links, relevant to the discussion we had on monday:

1) http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-3885/gjeby?a=view

"When multiple policies are applicable to a particular resource, the
order in which the policies are evaluated is not deterministic."

This means that positive results - i.e. allows - add up, as long as no
negative results are encountered.
In the latter case, evaluation is stopped immediately and access is denied.
In the former case, the effective outcome policy is the addition of all
the (positive) results.
Access is also denied, if no rule matches.

"If a policy decision for a requested action is boolean and the request
is determined to be false based on policies evaluated thus far, no
further policies will be evaluated for the requested action. This
behavior can be changed by toggling the Continue Evaluation On Deny
Decision attribute in the Policy Configuration Service."

Perhaps this can be used to override a rule yielding a negative result
with more specific rules that yield positive results? I will check that.

2) https://opensso.dev.java.net/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=3354

The wildcard operator stretches by default across all levels, e.g.
http://opentox.org/* will match http://opentox.org/1 as well as
http://opentox.org/1/2. However, there is a one-level-wildard operator:
-*- that will only match the former.

3) http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-3885/gipxp?a=view

This explains how policies are specified using XML and imported using
the ssoadm command line utility (which could be wrapped by a webservice
for use in OpenTox).

Regards
Andreas

--
http://www.maunz.de
OpenPGP key: http://www.maunz.de/andreas@maunz.de_pub.asc

Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be
hard to understand.