[OTDev] OpenSSO now secure

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Thu Jun 17 11:58:38 CEST 2010

Hi Pantelis,

chung wrote:
> Hi Nina, All,
>   Following Nina's scenario, I have the following question: How do we
> answer the same question for authorization. What if a computational
> pipeline breaks because of insufficient priviledges, i.e. the services
> A,B,C are to be invoked one after the other and the user (identified by
> its token) has access only to the (time consuming) services A and B...?

Yes , this is indeed a (similar)  issue, Luchesar already had listed it
in his comments last week.

But the difference is if authorization fails because of an expired
token, there is at least a theoretical option to renew it, whilst this
is not possible with hard-wired quotas.
>    I also have a proposal about token expiration (quick but not dirty).
> Now the token has two states: Active and Inactive. We can introduce a
> third state called Stale, where the token will continue to be valid but
> the end user will be told that this is inactive. Let me explain this. A
> user acquires a token T1 which it active for t1 hours. The user can use
> it to perform an action within the next t1/2 hours. After this time the
> token will expire but only for the end user (services can continue using
> this token!), so if T1 participates in some computational process it
> will not really expire. Even if the user posts the token 1sec before its
> (pseudo)expiration, the token will be valid for the services :-)

Besides being a security risk, I am not sure OpenSSO could be hacked to
behave this way.

We've considered another solution, where the services themselves can
renew the token - using either user credentials, or their own.