[OTDev] A&A: precautions against pre-registering resources

Andreas Maunz andreas at maunz.de
Tue Jun 29 10:02:06 CEST 2010

Ok, we can restrict creation to policies relevant to the current machine
only. In that case:
- we have policy creation only by services or users logged in to the
current machine.
- no other machine can create a policy relevant for the current machine
The two points impair flexibility a lot, thus I did not think this far.
Of course, Nina is right with the efficiency argument. I had in mind the
situation where public access was prohibited prior to policy creation,
thus no data would be transported. But I recognize this was
short-sighted, and overall, I agree with your proposal to use
DNS-verification.

One more (less important) question: We could also only forward DNS
resolution, couldn't we? Are host names not available with the request?
If yes, we could resolve both host names of requesting webservice and
target webservice and check whether the two IP addresses match.

Greetings
Andreas