[OTDev] Classified + Urgent

Rajarshi Guha rajarshi.guha at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 16:06:17 CEST 2010

On Jul 11, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Nina Jeliazkova wrote:

>>> The reason of c1cccccc1 (7membered ring in your first example) being
>>> displayed as C1CCCCCC1 is the aromaticity is somehow lost when
>>> parsing the
>>> aromatic SMILES.
>>>

>> A 7 membered ring should not be aromatic according to Hueckels rule
>

> Then this smiles should be perceived as invalid, and parsing should
> fail -
> isn't it?

Hmm, not sure I'd say that it is a syntactically correct SMILES (in
that the ring closure is correct and valid symbols are employed) but
semantically it is incorrect - and CDK will indicate the latter by not
detecting aromaticity

Rajarshi Guha        | NIH Chemical Genomics Center
http://www.rguha.net | http://ncgc.nih.gov
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention,
with the possible exceptions of handguns and Tequilla.
	-- Mitch Ratcliffe