[OTDev] FOAF ontology

chung chvng at mail.ntua.gr
Mon Jul 19 16:44:47 CEST 2010

Hi Nina, Egon, All,

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 16:37 +0200, Egon Willighagen wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Nina Jeliazkova
> <jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Could we consider also ontologies that describe publications - they should
> > definitely have way to describe authors' data, including addresses.  And
> > besides, any ontology could be extended , if we need so.
>
> I think the HCLS is leaning towards the PRISM ontology:
>
> http://esw.w3.org/HCLSIG/SWANSIOC/Actions/SWANPRISM

This seems to be more publication-oriented in the sense that it focuses
mainly on the publication and not on the author. In QPRF reporting we
need a way to describe authors, not publications. Personally I tend to
like FOAF because there is a Web Service storing FOAF-related
information, so an end user can provide its FOAF id (URI) instead of
providing its name, address etc one by one.

Best Regards,
Pantelis