[OTDev] NTUA WebServices

Martin Guetlein martin.guetlein at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:50:51 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Nina Jeliazkova
<jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com>wrote:

> Christoph,
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Christoph Helma <helma at in-silico.ch
> >wrote:
>
> > Excerpts from Nina Jeliazkova's message of Fri Aug 20 23:07:22 +0200
> 2010:
> >
> > > My fault for not being clear - the superservice will not build a
> > > model,  it could only apply a model.  To build a model, just POST the
> > > dataset and prediction feature to the algorithm uri directly.
> >
> > Ok, lets see if I understand correctly:
> >
> > To create a prediction model from scratch I would have to
> >
> > - create a dataset with structures and activities
> > - calculate (and eventually select) descriptors using one of the feature
> >  calculation (selection) algorithms
> > - apply one of the modelling algorithms to create a prediction model
> >
> > To make predictions I would use the superservice:
> >
> > - create a dataset with structures to be predicted
> > - submit the prediction dataset and the model to the superservice to
> >  obtain a dataset with the predictions
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >

> Yes.
>

> > To simplify this procedure we are using for our services the following
> > convenience methods:
> >
> > Model creation:
> >
> >  curl -X POST -d dataset_uri={datset_uri} -d feature_uri={feature_uri} -d
> > feature_generation_uri={feature_generation_uri} {model_algorithm_uri}
> >  returns task URI for the prediction model, feaure_uri specifies the
> > dependent variable
> >  - calls feature_generation_algorithm for dataset
> >  - creates prediction model from calculated descriptors and training
> >    activities (in dataset)
> >

> This looks like "superservice" for model creation.
>
> 1) -d dataset_uri parameter is fine
> 2) -d feature_uri parameter is not documented and not used by any of IDEA,
> TUM or NTUA partners, nor (AFAIK) in the API documentation
> Instead, what is used is the features , which are inherent to the dataset
> specified. This allows to have thousands of features.
> 3) The dependent variable, according to API should be under
> prediction_feature={featureuris} parameter, not feature_uri (see the wiki
> page for models).
>
> 4)feature_generation_uri is not specified anywhere in the API.  @ALL
>  please
> tell your opinions.
>
> Such parameter essentially makes every model a "super service" , which
> should be able to care about descriptor calculations as well.  From point
> of
> view of modularity  and task encapsulation I am not sure this is a good
> idea.  However, it could be very useful to have a "superservice" for model
> creation, which could take such parameters.

Hello Nina, Christoph, All,

I think we had that discussion a while ago (see e.g.
http://www.opentox.org/pipermail/development/2010/d
validating 000653.html<http://www.opentox.org/pipermail/development/2010/000653.html>
).
I like the idea of models and algorithms to be able to handle datasets
without features (-> christoph's proposal). But as far as I remember we
decided to use supermodels.
Therefore, I would vote for using supermodels (and extend the
supermodel functionality to build models).

Best regards,
Martin