[OTDev] Uploading non-standard datasets

surajit ray mr.surajit.ray at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:33:49 CEST 2010

Hi,

Well having them as features will not cut it - for the simple reason
that the "feature" in this case belongs to the the input dataset (or
whichever set is being worked upon). The compound itself may not have
a substructure but it may be a a part of a dataset which when examined
will have the substructure appearing while doing the pairwise
comparisons.

Using the features system in this manner is not (IHMO) the solution to
this problem. It will be really be cumbersome to maintain the feature
URIs which may number in many thousands and will be extremely
transient. In effect it will be lot of resources being hogged by a
system which could do with a much more simpler implementation.
Moreover a certain feature in such a system will be a part of a
compound if its a part of Dataset A and may not be a part of the same
compound when examined in Dataset B.

Summing up heres a few things I would like in the next API

a) Ability to upload bulk compounds from scratch, using a dataset
construct (and not posting single compounds)
b) Ability to assign features to datasets
c) Ability to have non-standard datasets/compounds which contain
substructures rather than molecules.

Regards
Surajit