[OTDev] Experiments with RDF

chung chvng at mail.ntua.gr
Fri Oct 1 12:20:04 CEST 2010

Hi Nina,
  Thanks for you input!

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 08:32 +0300, Nina Jeliazkova wrote:

> Hi Pantelis, All,
>

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM, chung <chvng at mail.ntua.gr> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >  During a round (rectangle in fact) table discussion in Rhodes we
> > questioned the efficiency of web services based on RDF and in particular
> > its OWL-DL variant. I gathered some statistics using ToxOtis while
> > experimenting with downloading and parsing datasets. Also we've tested
> > the performance  of ToxOtis in converting dataset objects into weka
> > objects (weka.core.Instances); the latter are useful to users of Weka.
> > These are preliminary results and we must not jump into conclusions but
> > we can start a discussion around some performance issues. Java
> > developers may use ToxOtis as a kind of client-profiler for their
> > services. Find attached a draft report that attempts to correlate the
> > size of a dataset with the computational effort needed for its parsing.
> >

> Would it be possible to run further experiments - in particular:
>
> - Split the reported time into time, necessary to download the RDF
> representation from the server, and time, necessary to parse and load the
> RDF as Jena object.  The reason for asking is these two parts can be
> optimized by different approaches (minimizing file size by prefixing or
> compression for the former and exploiting different Jena storage models for
> the later).

Yes, that was in my plans.

> - Report time to parse RDF into different in-memory Jena models (ones from
> http://jena.sourceforge.net/javadoc/com/hp/hpl/jena/ontology/OntModelSpec.html(not
> sure which is being used in the  tests now)

That would be also an interesting experiment.

> - Report timings, using slightly different approach to convert to weka
> instances, namely , retrieve URIs of compounds first and then retrieve
> features for each compound in subsequent calls.

Well, the time needed to convert the dataset object into Instances is
relatively small. Do you think this needed to be optimized further. We
can do the experiment however.

> - Report timings, when using Jena persistent storages , instead of in-memory
> one (http://openjena.org/TDB/, http://openjena.org/SDB/ )

I don't think that persistence will outperform the memory storage in
terms of computational time but will probably allocate less memory.
Apart from that, I don't think that such persistence is needed on the
client side since that data are persistent on the server.

> If we find an optimal setting after these experiments, the next step would
> be trying to work with datasets, comparable with size to the raw malaria
> data.  Ideally, would be nice to compare with RDF libraries, other than
> Jena, but this may require more efforts.

 We might find such a comparison online otherwise we could run some
tests!