[OTDev] Experiments with RDF

chung chvng at mail.ntua.gr
Wed Oct 6 20:53:57 CEST 2010

Hi Nina, Egon, All,
   I performed some measurements to tell how Jena performs when
different representations are requested from the remote service. Till
now we worked exclusively with RDF/XML so we tried the alternatives of
TURTLE and N3-TRIPLES. The result is that RDF/XML is downloaded and
parsed faster than TURTLE and N3-TRIPLES (take a look at the attached
file). I'll do the same with JSON as well.

@Nina: I'll try to create a Model (com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.model.Model)
using different methods from the ModelFactory outside ToxOtis and send
you the results. If there's a benefit from using some other Model
implementation, we'll rearrange a bit the source code in ToxOtis to
enhance the performance. What's more, for the time, if one needs to
serialize an RDF graph has to invoke the method
"write(java.io.OutputStream):void" but we study AMBIT's implementation
with StAX and will provide an alternative method. For the time I'm a bit
confused but I'll take a look at the documentation first...

Interlude: Manualism
Manualism (syn. Documentationism) is a technological movement that began
in Java (the country) by programmers in the early 90s. It's purpose is
the construction of interfaces and methods, so complex that the ONLY way
to make something work is to read the Users' Manual. A prime example of
a manualist masterpiece is Jena. [To my surprise, the term manualism is
found in wikipedia but with a different meaning:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manualism_%28hand_music%29 ]

Best Regards,
Pantelis