[OTDev] Algorithm/Model/Task related API documentation

Christoph Helma helma at in-silico.ch
Mon Nov 1 18:22:49 CET 2010

Dear Nina, All,

Excerpts from Nina Jeliazkova's message of Sat Oct 30 09:53:02 +0200 2010:
> Hello All,
>
> We have found somewhat inconsistent documentation, regarding the usage of
> tasks.  The API wiki says it is either the URL of the result returned, or
> the task URL.
>
> In practice, if the (default) "Accept:application/rdf+xml" header is
> requested, a task URL is always returned and the task contains information
> if it is completed or not, and if it is completed, then the RDF
> representation of the task contains the URI of result.

I always had the impression that
  - POST operations should return the URI of the created object _or_ a task URI (i.e. Accept:text/uri-list)
	- GET operations should return the object representation in OWL-DL (by default in RDF/XML format) (i.e. Accept/application/rdf+xml)

I would expect the following workflow for services that require tasks
(thats how it was implemented in ALU/IST services):

POST to the service - returns task URI
GET the task URI - returns task rdfxml with status (and URI of the created object if status is Completed)
If status is Completed: GET URI of result object - returns object representation (rdfxml by default)

What would be the advantage of getting RDF/XML for a newly created task (status would be Created by definition)?