[OTDev] API change - drop [] from query strings - what do you think?

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 10:34:09 CET 2010

On 10 November 2010 11:27, Egon Willighagen <egon.willighagen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> from a user point of perspective, I am in favor of dropping the []'s...
>
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Nina Jeliazkova
> <jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Let me remind that some services such as our filtering
> >> service and the consensus modeling algorithm (under construction)
> >> require arrays of data.
> >
> > There is no problem to pass arrays by parameters which name doesn't
> include
> > any brackets. Parsing and interpreting the content of parameter content
> is
> > not restricted in any way by its name.
>
> Are there actually paramaters like 'feature_uris' and 'params' which
> do not take an array?

Actually if I remember the initial reasoning right, brackets were intended
to denote one can have multiple values as in

?feature_uris=blabla1&feature_uris[]=blabla2&...

rather than array values (they are not ordered so I would not call it
'array' ) .

So it is more to do with the specification how many parameters of particular
kind are meaningful for the service.

> Intuitively, the 's' at the end of the parameter
> names gives me enough hinting that the value is an array, and a good
> place to formalize this would be the ontology.

Indeed.

Nina