[OTDev] API 1.2 discussions today

Tobias Girschick tobias.girschick at in.tum.de
Mon Dec 27 12:09:24 CET 2010

On 12/27/2010 10:23 AM, Nina Jeliazkova wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> On 27 December 2010 10:56, Tobias Girschick<tobias.girschick at in.tum.de>wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> On 12/20/2010 04:49 PM, Christoph Helma wrote:
>>
>>>    - POST/PUT for descriptor calculation
>>> I have checked: PUT operations for dataset subsets are already in the
>>> dataset API.
>>>
>> OK. Is there a rule or scheme when POST and when PUT is used? The default
>> should be POST, I guess, so we don't mess around with existing datasets. But
>> how can the user switch to PUT (if he has privileges for that)? An
>> additional parameter?
>>
> Possible options coming to my mind:
>
> 1) Additional parameter  (result_dataset - there was already such suggestion
> if I remember right)

Keeps flexibility. I prefer this option. The service provider could
choose the default or we could fix a default in the API (clearer option
maybe).

> 2) Up to the calculation service to select between POST or PUT for the
> results
That's how it is at the moment. The problem here is, that it's not easy
to change the behavior and especially in development and test cases it
might be wise not to use PUT although this could be the default option
of a certain service.
Imagine a user wants to try out/play around a little bit with different
descriptors ... If PUT is fixed he will mess up the dataset. If POST is
fixed he will have to remember one dataset URI per step in his final
workflow.

> 3) Introduce PUT for model/algorithm service, which will have the same
> meaning as POST (returning dataset results), but will assume the results
> will be send by PUT operation to dataset service.

Not sure about this option.

Best regards,
Tobias