[OTDev] encoding accept header MIME types in URI

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 12:19:13 CET 2011

On 11 January 2011 13:15, Martin Guetlein <martin.guetlein at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Nina Jeliazkova
> <jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > On 11 January 2011 12:13, Martin Guetlein <
> martin.guetlein at googlemail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> is there a standardized way to encode MIME types in URIs instead of
> >> using the accept-header?
> >>
> >> For example Ambits services allow to specifiy this via 'media'
> parameter:
> >>

> http://apps.ideaconsult.net:8080/ambit2/compound/4025/conformer/462030?media=image/png
> >> @Nina
> >> How did you decide to use 'media'?
> >>

> > This is an (optional) support by Restlet library. There is so-called
> "Tunnel
> > service" , which could be turned on (off by default) and will accept
> "media"
> > parameter to specify MIME type.
> >
> > There is also "method" parameter, allowing to "tunnel" all HTTP methods
> via
> > GET. (e.g. curl -X GET /dataset/999?method=DELETE )
> >

> >> Have other partners implemented something similar?
> >>

> > I guess it is easy for all partners using Restlet to turn the tunnel
> service
> > on.
> >
> > AFAIK, there is no standard solution for this kind of workaround. If
> there
> > are no preferences from other REST frameworks , we might decide to
> include
> > "media" parameter in the API as well.  It is quite convenient to
> "deceive"
> > browsers ...
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Nina
>

> Hi Nina, All,
>
> I just discussed this issue with Christoph, Micha and Andreas.
> Even though the media parameter is already integrated in Restlet, and
> could be implemented for our framework, we thought about another
> solution:
> We could use file-extensions in URIs, i.e. add ".rdf", ".txt", ".png"
> to the resource URI.
> This would need slightly more effort in terms of implementation (map
> file-extensions to MIME types), but would be very intuitive and easy
> to use.
>
> What do you/people think?

Well, I don't like the extension approach at all,  because it is not aligned
with the REST idea that an URI is one resource, having different
representations.   Adding extensions means these are effectively different
resources , and have different URIs (even it will be hard to tell within RDF
representation these are the same objects!)

URI parameters are little bit better (not ideal), in the sense the URI is
still the same.