[OTDev] OpenSSO protected datasets

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:54:54 CET 2011

Hi Tobias,

On 12 January 2011 14:43, Tobias Girschick <tobias.girschick at in.tum.de>wrote:

> Hi Nina,
>

> On 01/12/2011 01:32 PM, Nina Jeliazkova wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobias,
>>
>> On 12 January 2011 14:27, Tobias Girschick<tobias.girschick at in.tum.de
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Nina,
>>>
>>> well, as
>>>
>>> /dataset/{id}/compound
>>>
>>> gives a list of all compounds in the dataset this should be definitely
>>> protected. /dataset/{id}/feature could maybe left without policy.
>>>

>> I guess it depends  - if features refer to sensitive data , it might make
>> sense to be protected.
>>

>>  We are not sure about the metadata.
>>>
>>>  OK, then the next question - if we want  /dataset/{id}/compound to be
>> protected , should a policy to "/dataset/{id}/compound"  be registered as
>> well,  or we could have one "top level" policy  (this does not work at the
>> moment ) ?
>>

> Well, the easier way would be to register an additional policy, but having
> just one policy for everything beneath dataset/{id}.... sounds tempting.

Yes :)

> But that would mean to introduce wildcards to the policies, right? And that
> is something that might complicate things, although I am not aware of the
> exact reason we have/had not to use wildcards,

It was decided for security reasons not to use wildcards, otherwise, one
could register  http://tu-muenchen.de/* once and not let the  services
register specific URIs upon creation, e.g.
http://tu-muenchen.de/model/idwhen amodel is created.

Perhaps Andreas could comment and suggest the right behaviour.  There is
also subsequent question what do we do with compound URIs  that belong to a
dataset ... do we need policies for every single URI of a compound in a
protected dataset ?  Wildcard policies would help a lot.