[OTDev] encoding accept header MIME types in URI

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 11:40:46 CET 2011

On 14 January 2011 12:00, Christoph Helma <helma at in-silico.ch> wrote:

> > Actually, it's not that bad from security point of view, because the REST
> > framework will handle the extensions itself and adding an extension is
> > merely a configuration issue.
> >
> > But you are at the mercy of the framework, and here I understand these
> > differ. The Ruby framework as explained in Christoph's email works via
> URI
> > rewriting, while Restlet works via "tunneling", i.e. rerouting the
> request
> > to the proper code, rather than rewriting the URI.  Thus in Restlet we
> end
> > in the proper code to handle the request, but with the original URI . And
> if
> > we want to check if the URI is authorized by the OpenSSO server, we have
> > do the extension removing ourselves :(
> >

> Please don't get me wrong: I see the extension variant purely as a
> convenience method for GET requests of text oriented clients and html
> links (there is no point in using them in POST requests).

> If it is too
> hard to implement them in a safe way in one of the frameworks I would
> rather use a more inconvenient method than to risk that extensions end
> up as resource URIs (or to spend too much efforts to make it work).

OK, we can handle this in Restlet. If accessing
http://host:8080/ambit2/dataset/1.rdf

getRequest().getOriginalRef()  returns http://host:8080/ambit2/dataset/1.rdf

getRequest().getRequestRef()  returns http://host:8080/ambit2/dataset/1

> Maybe we can work for some time with the current implementations and
> choose another solution if we run into troubles.

I'm fine with the current implementation, as long as the URIs with
extensions don't get into RDF representation and can be handled by AA in a
uniform manner, without requiring registering additional policies .

Extensions are switched on within our services, please report anything that
doesn't behave as it should.