[OTDev] Validation against confidential data

chung chvng at mail.ntua.gr
Fri Jan 21 15:11:52 CET 2011

Hi Martin, All,
        We indeed had a fruitful discussion yesterday and we came up
with an implementation strategy for the second use case you described.
First of all since OpenTox is an open and distributable framework we
should present the solution we concocted (with the proxy service) as a
potential approach to the case of confidential data and more it is a
reusable pattern to handle similar cases. Whether the second use case is
realistic is something to be discussed on the next VM but I'd like to
clarify that the local installation does not completely solve the
problem of confidential data. Of course this option that you mention in
the first use case is the most secure choice since no data are
transfered over the Internet. At the same time although, it severs you
from a vast set of (confidential) data you might want to use for
validation but you don't have any access to them. Local installation
will only protect your own data (to which anyway you have access) while
the proxy service approach provides (less restricted) access to a large
amount of confidential data. So, by the consent of the data owner, the
access to such data becomes "less closed" rendering the framework
potentially "more open".

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 14:30 +0100, Martin Guetlein wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:12 PM, chung <chvng at mail.ntua.gr> wrote:
> >   Dear All,
> >      After a meeting we had today with Nina, Martin and Andreas M. we
> >   arrived to a first approach to the use case of model validation against
> >   confidential data. The proposal is attached and seems to be a good
> >   basis for a first implementation. This will
> >   Best Regards,
> >   Pantelis
>

> Hello All,
>
> I just had a discussion with Andreas K. on validation against
> confidential data, and he was a bit concerned about our use case. So
> before proceeding, I would like to outline two use cases and would
> like to here what people think. The first one might be the most
> obvious use case that we have to get done:
>
> USE CASE
> * User has confidential data. He wants to use this data within the
> framework for building models (or use existing models), making predictions,
> and validation without letting someone else see the data.
>
> Implementation within the framework:
> * Get the services working together, and get A&A up and running.
> * For paranoid users: install all services locally on your computer.

Are we supposed to provide documentation for the local installation of
the services? If yes, where?

Best regards,
Pantelis