[OTDev] A&A: Policy cleanup

Martin Guetlein martin.guetlein at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 09:18:28 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Nina Jeliazkova
<jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Andreas, All,
>

> On 31 January 2011 09:02, Andreas Maunz <andreas at maunz.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I see many of you using A&A facilities for test-driving their local
>> installations.
>> This is apparent through the use of host names without a top-level domain
>> (no fully qualified domain names (FQDN), such as 'localhost').
>> A problem is that people many times seem to throw away their testbeds and
>> forget to clean up the policies they created.
>> This results in a mass of policies taking resources unnecessarily.
>> Thus, I propose a scheduled garbage collection on the policy service that
>> cleans up policies without an FQDN every Sunday (let's say).
>>

>> What do you think about it?
>>

> Fully agree.
>
> IMHO,  "localhost" URIs should not be used anywhere in OpenTox services
> (including AA), as this defeats the purpose of OpenTox URIs being
> dereferencable.  Using "localhost" should be considered a bug.
>
> We are also seeing lot of "localhost" URIs in Ambit services and could
> consider similar "garbage collecting".
>
> Best regards,
> Nina

Agree as well. I would propose to not allow the host "localhost" (on
the SSO servers part, if possible), as this only leads to problems.

Is there a common test-user that everybody can use? The policies of
this user can be deleted from time to time. I started to use 'test'
and/or 'anonymous' for test runs with Ambit/Ntua/Tum, and I cannot
promise to keep track of all created policies.

Regards,
Martin