[OTDev] OpenTox at SETAC Africa

barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Mon Feb 7 22:45:54 CET 2011

I have proposed to run a hands-on OpenTox workshop at SETAC Africa (May 31 - June 3) in the Cameroon.  Any one interested in joining?  Also, for conference abstracts the organisers are asking for submission by Feb 15. See message from the organisers below.

One goal we have is to try to understand better how we can support the creation of an African solution to environmental and health challenges in the face of development pressures and exploitation and an urgent race against time on the biodiversity conservation timeclock.

More prosaicly we may face an Internet or computing challenge or two that should benefit from both open and downloadable solutions!

Barry

Dear Distinguished Scientists,
You are by this message once more reminded to submit your abstracts for the on
coming CSTS/SETAC Africa conference which will take place in Buea, Cameroon from
May 31st to June 3rd this year. Only one week left for online abstract
submission!!! Submit your abstracts online now at:
http://cameroon.setac.eu/home/?contentid=385&pr_id=384.

 In addition to the rich scientific program we can assure you there will be lots
of opportunities for exciting side attractions. Buea is a beautiful town at the
foot of Mount Cameroon (the highest mountain in West/Central Africa). Mount
Cameroon is also one of Africa's most active volcanoes. Those who like hiking
can join guided tours in the Mount Cameroon Region, where you will visit old and
recent volcanic craters, lava streams, crater lakes, waterfalls, dense rain
forest, the vast flourishing savannah, the Atlantic coast etc (For more
information visit the Mount Cameroon ecotourism website:
http://www.mount-cameroon.org/offer.htm). There are also opportunities for
guided bird watching. The lowland and montane forests of Cameroon are extremely
rich in birdlife. This area is third in Africa for bird biodiversity and holds a
wealth of unique and endemic bird species as well as other unique plant- and
wildlife (for more information: http://www.mount-cameroon.org/birdwatching.htm).
For those who love the sea, Buea is also close to the seaside towns of Douala
and Limbe with good access to the beach. The Limbe Botanical and Zoological
Gardens, which are close by, are internationally recognized as one of the most
active gardens in tropical West and Central Africa. It serves as a natural
gateway to the Mount Cameroon region, one of the world's biodiversity hotspots.
It plays host to numerous specie of flora of which about 150 of the plants
species cannot be found in any other part of the world.

Hurry, do not miss this exciting experience of nature.
We look forward to receiving your abstracts and eventually to welcoming you to
Cameroon.

Pat

Patricia Bi Asanga Fai (PhD)
Ecotoxicologist; Senior Lecturer,