[OTDev] AA moves to dedicated server

Vedrin Jeliazkov vedrin.jeliazkov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 14:48:30 CET 2011

Hi Andreas,

Great news!

In case that you have full control of your master DNS zone files and
you would like to speed-up the DNS synchronisation, you could consider
temporarily lowering the Refresh time setting in your SOA record from
the RFC-recommended value (~ 86400 -- 24h) to something more
aggressive like 3600 (1 hour) on Thursday (Feb 24) at the latest (the
refresh setting will also need time to propagate, which in the worst
case would be as long as its current refresh value, so if it is
anything higher than 86400, you should implement the change even
earlier). Also, don't forget to change the zone serial number and to
restore the old refresh value once the hang-over is completed and
changes are propagated (e.g. on Sunday, 27 Feb). This should help
reducing the number of inadvertently lost policies, by reducing the
window of opportunity to 1 hour in the worst case.

Kind regards,
Vedrin