[OTDev] Validation: Efficiency

Andreas Maunz andreas at maunz.de
Fri Feb 25 12:02:42 CET 2011

Dear all,

since a single validation of a model on a dataset creates multiple
ressources (currently > 50), and by the fact that everything is
decentralized (i.e. linked via URIs) and referenceable in OpenTox, we
are facing the problem that currently prohibitively high load is placed
on the AA services, because a policy must be created and requested
multiple times (and eventually deleted) for each of the resources.

For example the spike in http://tinyurl.com/6amuo8x to the very right is
produced by a single validation. Moreover, the validation service is
very slow, the AA related part alone takes at least several minutes. All
this is induced by the amount of single policies that have to be created.

Martin argues that currently there seems no API compliant way of
improving performance: One way could be to collect all URIs and create a
policy covering all of them at the end of the validation. However, there
is no way of notifying validation-involved services to not create
policies in the first place. Also, without policies, there would be no
way for validation to access the resource, since default (without
associated policy) is "deny".

We consider this issue high priority, which should be dealt with before
everyone starts using validation in production. Perhaps we would need an
API extension that allows the collection strategy discussed before, or
are there other suggestions?

Best regards
Andreas