[OTDev] Dataset metadata API extensions

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 09:21:03 CET 2011

All,

I would like to propose the following OpenTox API extensions for setting /
updating metadata of a dataset.

1) Add HTTP PUT, allowing to update the metadata of an existing dataset .
Currently, the API defines only GET for /dataset/{id}/metadata.

1a) via RDF representation of metadata  (the content retrieved via e.g curl
-H "Accept:application/rdf+xml"
http://apps.ideaconsult.net:8080/ambit2/dataset/1/metadata  )

curl -X PUT -H "Content-type:application/rdf+xml" -d @mymetadata.rdf
> http://host/dataset/{id}/metadata

This should change entries in the metadata and subsequent GETs will retrieve
the new info.

1b) Alternatively, using a simple web form

curl -X PUT  -d "license=http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl" -d
> "title=blabla" http://host/dataset/{id}/metadata

2) Specify metadata fields when creating a new dataset via multipart  web
form for file uploads. This is already implied in the API, but fields names
(beside "file") are not specified explicitly. Shall we list explicitly
(mandatory and optional) fields, which can be used for the metadata (perhaps
in opentox.owl) ?

curl -X POST -F "file=@alkanes.csv" -F "license=
> http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/" -F "title=Alkanes"
> <https://ambit.uni-plovdiv.bg:8443/ambit2/dataset>http://host/dataset/ -iv

3) In order to specify the distribution license of the dataset, add
dcterms:license [1] to the metadata representation, e.g.

curl -H "Accept:text/n3"
> http://apps.ideaconsult.net:8080/ambit2/dataset/1/metadata
>
> <http://apps.ideaconsult.net:8080/ambit2/dataset/112>
>       a       ot:Dataset ;
>       dc:title "ToxCast_ToxRefDB_20091214.txt" ;
>       dcterms:license "http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl" .

What do you think - can we add these extensions into API 1.2 ?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/NOTE-void-20110303/