[OTDev] RDF size and use of prefixes

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:43:50 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Nina Jeliazkova
<jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com> wrote:
> Related to the recent discussion on RDF scalability, I am sending an example
> how simple use of prefixes in RDF can reduce the size of the serialized RDF.
>  The length of the newly generated prefixed files  (both in RDF/XML and
> N3)  is *3 times less* than the original one (RDF/XML).

A further note is on:

http://apps.ideaconsult.net:8080/ambit2/compound/9908/conformer/534823

Now, namespaced resources are not happy (at least not in Jena) about
'/'s in resources, so you cannot abbreviate this into:

ambit:compound/9908/conformer/534823

But, it might be worthwhile to use a few NSs, so to give:

amconf:534823

with

@prefix amconf:
<http://apps.ideaconsult.net:8080/ambit2/compound/9908/conformer/>

But that a valid QName :(

In that respect, it would be good for a future OpenTox API to have the
last bit a valid NCName, so starting with a 'a-Z' or '_':

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-NameStartChar

Grtz,

Egon

--