[OTDev] RDF size and use of prefixes

Christoph Helma helma at in-silico.ch
Fri May 20 13:25:17 CEST 2011

> Hi All,
>
> Related to the recent discussion on RDF scalability, I am sending an example
> how simple use of prefixes in RDF can reduce the size of the serialized RDF.
>  The length of the newly generated prefixed files  (both in RDF/XML and
> N3)  is *3 times less* than the original one (RDF/XML).

In my experience prefixes do not significantly affect parsing/serialization time, but
they are of course helpful to reduce traffic and to improve readability.

> The examples are generated by reading the original XML file through Jena,
> setting prefixes and rdf writer options and writing back into RDF/XML and
> N3.  The code could be inspected here [1] (look at the last write() method).
>  There should be similar facilities in other RDF libraries.

Unfortunately it is not that straightforward here (had to ditch RDF
libraries to improve performance). We might use prefixes more in future
versions, let me know if this has high priority.