[OTDev] Fwd: Predicted variables and confidence --- was: [OTP] Lazar models

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Tue May 24 20:46:18 CEST 2011

Hi Martin, All,

On 24 May 2011 21:27, Martin Guetlein <martin.guetlein at googlemail.com>wrote:

> This should probably better be posted to the development list...

> <
> jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com>
> Cc: Christoph Helma <helma at in-silico.ch>
>

> Hi all,
>
> I just managed to produce the first validation report that utilizes
> non-lazar 'confidence' values, with a j48 model from ambit:
> http://local-ot/validation/report/validation/47
> (Once again this is just proof of concept, this is a training data
> validation and the confidence value is the class-probability value coming
> from WEKA, I asked Nina to add this information to the model predictions
> some time ago.)

Good to have both services working :)

> Both model services (ambit and lazar) now add the confidence as a separate
> feature to the prediction dataset which is nice, I think we should keep it
> that way.
>
> One deviation is that Ambit adds both features (prediction and confidence)
> to Model#predictedVariables while IST puts them into
> PredictionDataset#features. IST is doing this because we do not have a
> feature service, features do only exist in datasets (which makes A&A
> easier). I am fine with both solutions, but we maybe should agree on a
> common way to do it?

What about combining both solutions?  Features could be in the dataset, as
in IST services, or as separate resources,  but additionally models provide
list of predicted variables via /model/id/predicted ?  This way there will
be still no need of a separate feature service for you.

It's quite convenient to know how many and which features are generated by a
model.  We are using these to find out if the predictions are already
cached, or need to be calculated a new. And there will be a straightforward
way to check if a dataset indeed contains features from particular model.
Finally, if <dependentVariable | predictedVariable> owl:sameAs  <endpoint>
is set, then the model will appear under one of the endpoint categories in
ToxPredict, and not as a model with unknown endpoint, as now.

> The second deviation is how the actual prediction and confidence features
> look like. To unify this, my proposition would be:
> * The predicted feature is of type OT:ModelPredictionFeature (subclass of
> OT:Feature)
> * The confidence feature is of type OT:ModelConfidenceFeature (subclass of
> OT:Feature)
> * The confidence feature has a property OT:confidenceOf which points to the
> predicted feature (in case a model has more than one prediction feature)

Agree.