[OTDev] OpenTox Online Tutorial Wednesday, 22 June, 15:00: Validate Your QSAR Model and Create a Report (for Advanced Users or Developers)

Roman Affentranger roman at douglasconnect.com
Mon Jun 20 12:34:30 CEST 2011

Dear All:

We will hold the next tutorial in the OpenTox series of online seminars and
interactive tutorials on topics related to predictive toxicology this
Wednesday, 22 June 2011, at 15:00 CEST.

The tutorial will be held online, using a virtual conferencing system
supporting desktop sharing and voice. The tutorials are part of the EU FP7
project OpenTox (www.opentox.org), which aims at developing an interoperable
open source predictive toxicology framework which may be used as an
enabling platform for the creation of predictive toxicology applications.

The topic of the tutorial of next* Wednesday, 22 June, at 15:00 CEST*, is
"Validate Your QSAR Model and Create a Report (for Advanced Users or
Developers)". Participants will learn how to use the validation services and
explore the reporting facilities - including generating QMRF reports - via
web forms. We will demonstrate how to effectively use the validation and
reporting web services that are also acting behind the applications of
ToxPredict and ToxCreate. Using web forms, we will contact the web services
and validate a model or algorithm using a number of different approaches
such as k-fold split, training-test-split, or bootstrapping. Furthermore, we
will generate a QMRF report and visualize it using the QMRF Editor web start
application. This tutorial is aimed at advanced users and developers who
want to look behind the scenes.

Requirements:
- Datasets will be provided for the tutorial exercises.
- Please download and install Java 6, with web start enabled (
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html), if you
do not have it already on your PC.
- Optional (absolutly not required for the tutorial) is cURL (
http://curl.haxx.se/download.html), a command line tool for accessing the
OpenTox API. On Windows, you have the options if installing cURL natively (
http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/win32/curl-7.21.1-devel-mingw32.zip), or -
for more convenience - consider installing VMWare Player (
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/) and run a small Linux
environment under Windows (http://www.maunz.de/opentox/dsl-4.1.zip; just
double-click the dsl-4.1.vmx file).

Participation in these online events involves no registration fee.
To register for the seminar, visit
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/opentoxonline.
Registrations for previous tutorials are still valid and will be included
when sending further details.

Best regards,
Roman

--