[OTDev] OpenAM performance

Vedrin Jeliazkov vedrin.jeliazkov at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 10:45:27 CEST 2011

Hi again,

On 4 July 2011 11:33, Vedrin Jeliazkov <vedrin.jeliazkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS: Currently I have 4 GB of RAM allocated to OpenDJ with half of it
> dedicated to db cache, another 2 GB to the Tomcat instance hosting
> OpenAM, Policy and Ambit2, and yet another 1 GB to the MySQL instance
> -- all running on the same server which has 2 processors with a total
> of 8 CPU cores, running at 2.67 GHz. However it has a rather slow
> (outdated) memory bus, so I'm sure the figures could be improved quite
> a lot by using more recent hardware.

I've doubled the amount of RAM dedicated to OpenDJ at 10:55 AM (CEST)
from 2 to 4 GB, when I noticed that its JVM was spending quite some
time in performing frenetic garbage collection activities. This has
immediately reduced the latency and stopped the increase as can be
seen here:

http://ambit.uni-plovdiv.bg/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?displaymode=n;start=2011-07-04%2003:38;end=now;target=IDEA-DEV.AA.TestWorkflow-1a

So basically, for holding circa 20K policies you need > 2 GB RAM just
for the OpenDJ server.

Kind regards,
Vedrin