[OTDev] OpenAM performance

Vedrin Jeliazkov vedrin.jeliazkov at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:15:31 CEST 2011

Hi again,

On 4 July 2011 10:23, Vedrin Jeliazkov <vedrin.jeliazkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some findings of general interest:
>
> 1) The CPU usage proportion between OpenDJ, MySQL, and OpenAM+Policy
> is roughly 10:2:1. This highlights the need to have a dedicated
> powerful server (even better -- a pool of cooperating servers) for
> LDAP or eventually use a different backend (e.g. general purpose
> RDBMS) that scales better for workloads that are not predominantly
> read-only.

A closer investigation reveals that at the moments when the policy
removal tasks are run (periodically), the above mentioned CPU usage
proportion changes rather dramatically to 20:2:1. I've also forgot to
mention that OpenAM+Policy share the same Tomcat instance with Ambit2
:-)

V.

PS: A possible temporary workaround for this performance issue could
consist in adding invalidating rules in the policies that we want to
remove, while postponing the actual  (batch) policy removal to a more
convenient time (e.g. when the service load is below a certain
threshold). We have to see though whether the addition of such rules
would be a less CPU- and memory-bound task.