[OTDev] OpenAM performance

Andreas Maunz andreas at maunz.de
Tue Jul 5 18:48:10 CEST 2011

Hi Nina,

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 17:00:06 +0300, Nina Jeliazkova
<jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently at http://apps.ideaconsult.net:8080/ambit2/  there are roughly
> 37000 datasets and ~470 models.  This includes all intermediate datasets and
> models, created (and not deleted yet) by all partners and third party tools,
> who have been using the service since last year.
>
> This is already three times more than the number of existing policies in
> OpenTox production AA, and the performance of the production AA server is a
> showstopper to hook our production services into the AA infrastructure,
> unless
>
> a) we consider some of the resources obsolete and perform a clean up;
> b) we bring up our own instance of AA, which can handle this amount of
> resources;
> c) we find out/develop more efficient approach to policy management.

Obviously, the easiest way is b). Concerning Vedrin's experiments, it
would be rather straightforward what to do (correct me if I am wrong),
namely to give the main proportion of RAM to a dedicated LDAP hosting
policy configuration in a separate JAVA VM.

Currently, the production service has only 2G of memory (and it does
not use a dedicated LDAP).
Jiffybox offers "CloudLevel 5" (16 GB RAM / 8 CPUs) for 0,25 EUR/h,
which is their most powerful appliance.
When switching the machine (be the new one physical or not) we should
consider starting from scratch, as no upgrade from OpenSSO/OpenAM 9.0 to
the current version seems possible.

Best regards
Andreas