[OTDev] OpenAM performance

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 21:35:12 CEST 2011

On 5 July 2011 22:15, Andreas Maunz <andreas at maunz.de> wrote:

> Hi Nina,
>
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 20:02:42 +0300, Nina Jeliazkova
> <jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Obviously, the easiest way is b). Concerning Vedrin's experiments, it
> >> would be rather straightforward what to do (correct me if I am wrong),
> >> namely to give the main proportion of RAM to a dedicated LDAP hosting
> >> policy configuration in a separate JAVA VM.
> >
> > Well, I was considering a)  as the most realistic route :)
> > Bringing a second AA instance means either synchronizing the tokens
> (tokens
> > coming from one instance will not be considered valid by another), or
> > providing info which service uses which AA instance.  Either ways, this
> will
> > complicate the service interaction.
>
> Yes, I was more thinking about upgrading the common server then setting
> up an own IDEA instance, which was a bit unclear from my mail.
>
> Of course, policy cleanup is a good thing.

I had in mind resources cleanup :)

> Unfortunately, there are
> many open questions- People tend to create resources (and policies) and
> never delete them (although I am sure most are never used again).
> Thinking about regular "garbage collection", via deleting policies
> referring to services that return 401. Still, there may be many "dead
> resources" left, if services
> a) return something else than 401 despite the resource being actually
> gone (e.g. 403 or 500).
> b) return something else than 401 with the resource in place, but just
> unused (this applies mostly to partners that do not run an RDBS to hold
> the data).
> Thus, it might be more sensible to start accounting and have a protocol
> of access to a resource. This would mean wrapping the OpenAM auth calls,
> which leads to additional overhead. But then again, can policies be
> deleted just because the resources are unused? After how long?

Let's first focus on solving the first two A-s performance issue ...

> >> Currently, the production service has only 2G of memory (and it does
> >> not use a dedicated LDAP).
> >> Jiffybox offers "CloudLevel 5" (16 GB RAM / 8 CPUs) for 0,25 EUR/h,
> >> which is their most powerful appliance.
> >> When switching the machine (be the new one physical or not) we should
> >> consider starting from scratch, as no upgrade from OpenSSO/OpenAM 9.0 to
> >> the current version seems possible.
> >
> > Perhaps we could have a script, reading the policies from MySQL pol table
> ,
> > and feeding the new OpenAM instance?
>
> Sure, the MySQL part is easy. What seems to be impossible (sadly) is to
> transfer the OpenAM policy configuration (see
> https://bugster.forgerock.org/jira/browse/OPENAM-464). Without it, the
> MySQL information is rather useless.

Right, but the policies can be retrieved via the API (ssoadm or OpenTox API
) and XMLs archived somewhere.  You have an info of the owner of the policy,
so it should be possible to chase the owners and  have them run a script,
retrieving the policies and storing locally (ideally by clicking a button on
a web page). Those who decline, will not have their policies transferred ;)

> > P.S. IMHO the memory requirements of OpenDS are rather ridiculous.  After
> > all, these 40K policies fit in about 50MB of memory , if one consider
> them
> > as strings, and my calculations are not completely wrong.  Perhaps we are
> > still unaware of some configuration magic in OpenAM/ OpenDJ
> (LDAP)backend.
> >  The OpenDJ uses Berkeley DB as a backend, and a (distributed) version of
> > BDB  is reported to handle all Google accounts and associated properties
>
> I agree: It consumes too much memory, at least when we consider scaling
> behaviour. But the slow LDAP write access (for all LDAP implementations
> I have met) is also a motivation to look around for other backends.

Vedrin is investigating indexing and other tuning options for BDB / OpenDJ.
 Perhaps you could join forces sifting the docs / code.