[OpenTox] Evidence-based Toxicology Collaboration

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Mon Aug 26 11:51:11 CEST 2013

The Evidence-based Toxicology Collaboration (EBTC) was formed to
translate the principles and approaches of Evidence-based
Medicine/Health Care to toxicology (http://www.ebtox.com/).

Open approaches to standards, data, software and ontology as promoted by
the OpenTox Community can make a valuable contribution to the
development of EBTC case studies applying systematic reviews in toxicology.

I will join Thomas Hartung and Sebastian Hoffmann at an EBTC session at
EuroTox 2013 to discuss the development of systematic reviews in
toxicology, which would be facilitated by a toxicology ontology.

I expect we will also communicate further details on this collaborative
effort virtually to the community and look forward to hearing from those
who have interest in this initiative.

Barry

Evidence-based Toxicology Collaboration
EuroTox 2013, Interlaken, Switzerland
13.00-14.00, Monday, September 2
Room: Grimsel 1+2
Chair: Thomas Hartung, USA
Evidence-based approaches, which were pioneered in medicine, provide the
means to transparently, objectively, and consistently assess the
evidence bearing on questions in medicine or other fields of science.
The EBTC comprises stakeholders in academia, industry, and government
seeking to strengthen decision-making in safety sciences, and thereby
enhance confidence in the process by which scientific evidence is
assessed. The EBTC is primarily interested in assessing the performance
of the toxicological test methods and addressing questions about the
safety of substances to human health and the environment. The EBTC’s
efforts are timely, as there is growing interest in applying systematic
reviews in toxicology, which would be facilitated by a toxicology
ontology, as well as a growing recognition that new test assessment
approaches are needed, for example in the context of composing and
assessing integrated testing strategies.
13.00 –13.20
Evidence-based Toxicology (EBT) and the EBT Collaboration: Sebastian
Hoffmann, Germany
13.20 –13.40
EBT and Integrated Testing Strategy: Thomas Hartung, USA
13.40–14.00
Toxicology Ontology Development supporting Evidence-based Approaches in
Predictive Toxicology: Barry Hardy, Switzerland