[OpenTox Ontology] OpenTox Working Group Data Standards and Metadata

Sluka, James Patrick jsluka at indiana.edu
Thu Jul 30 18:42:20 CEST 2015

Thomas

This is a great start. I would add one more bullet point;

5. Explore harmonization with other biological and biomedical domains for standards for data and metadata.

It seems to me that we do not want to develop standards for all the various types of assays that might be done as tox studies; microarray, tissue culture, model animal in vivo, histology, etc. Instead we want those "technique domains" to develop their own data and annotation standards that best fits their data and experimental characteristics. What we really need are methods of controlling how the toxicological information (data and meta-data) is append to the domain-specific formats. This seems to me to be two issues; (1) prodding (coercing, begging) the domain-specific communities to develop a standard for their domains that is compatible with annotation using toxicological concepts and (2) developing a controlled vocabulary and/or ontology suitable for that annotation.

Jim Sluka
Biocomplexity Institute
Indiana University