[OTDev] IDs for features, feature_definitions ...

Tobias Girschick tobias.girschick at in.tum.de
Tue Sep 29 14:16:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

While revising the API 1.0 there arose some controversy about IDs for
features, feature definitions, references and so on.

As far as we I know there has been no definitive decision made up to
now. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

What we are using at the moment as IDs for feature definitions and
references is full URIs, e.g. something like this:

http://lxkramer13.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:8180/OpenTox/feature_definition/CDK_topoShape
http://lxkramer13.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:8180/OpenTox/reference/CDK_topoShape

This seems to be very nice and useful. But there arises one conflict
with feature IDs as the API specifies the following URI to GET a
specific feature:
/feature/compound/{cid}/feature_definition/{f_def_id}

The URI won't work if I just blindly insert the compound or feature
definition ID here, as they both are fully qualified URIs.

If we use just something like CDK_topoShape as ID instead of a URI, we
have the problem that this would have to be unique over the whole
OpenTox system to prevent mix ups.

Is there a clever way to solve this?

Regards,
Tobias