[OTDev] Opentox RESTful Resources

richard apodaca rich_apodaca at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 16:25:30 CEST 2009

I may have missed it, but it looks like the discussion around file formats (media types) has not dealt much with resources. In RESTful systems, these should be identified, and their aggregation with other resources should be defined - in most cases before any media types are proposed.

Here's an example of the step-by-step approach I'm using for a RESTful chemical tracking system (series still in progress):

http://depth-first.com/articles/2009/08/07/the-restful-chemical-tracking-system-part-1-introduction

Where can I find documentation on the RESTful resources Opentox exposes?

I also find association diagrams to be extremely helpful when crafting RESTful systems because they offer a common vocabulary and quick visualization of the resources for an entire RESTful system.

Two examples in cheminformatics are:

http://depth-first.com/articles/2009/08/21/%EF%BB%BFthe-restful-chemical-tracking-system-part-3-resource-associations

and

http://chemcaster.com/rest/resources

The latter is a hyperlinked image map. Each resource in the diagram is linked to the corresponding resource page.

Is there anything like that I could have a look at for Opentox? Anybody interested in creating one?

Thanks,
Rich

Richard L. Apodaca

http://depth-first.com      Blog