[OTDev] RDF, APIs and ontologies

Christoph Helma helma at in-silico.de
Wed Nov 11 12:46:20 CET 2009

Dear all,

If we decide to switch to RDF for data exchange we will have to provide
valid URIs for feature(-definition)s (i.e. the predicates of the
Compound-Feature-Value Triples). At present we have separate APIs for
feature and algorithm ontologies, but I would suggest to abandon them in
favor of a single service for OpenTox ontologies.

>From a developers point of view, OpenTox ontologies should

- provide a glue (or meta) layer between existing ontologies (e.g. tell us that
  entries in different ontologies mean the same thing)

- provide a mechanism for extending/correcting existing ontologies,
  before the extensions find their way into an official ontology (e.g.
	if we develop a new feature calculation algorithm)

Of course we would need to access ontologies in RDF/OWL - maybe through
a separate ontology webservice.

Maybe we can discuss this during our Friday meeting.