[OTDev] ontologies for endpoints

sylvia.escher at item.fraunhofer.de sylvia.escher at item.fraunhofer.de
Mon Nov 16 14:22:16 CET 2009

Dear Olga, dear Nina, dear all,

I'm still not sure what I will take home from the Fridays telephone
conference. Therefore I would be glad if someone (probably from the
informatic side) could explain me the definition of ontology for repeated
dose toxicity. I think I do not really understand which kind of function
this ontology will have in OPENTOX.

What should an ontology do for OPENTOX. Is it used to query/find all
relevant data in any supported database? Would it be substance specific,
so that substance information comes first and then the query for tox
information?

Each database has its "own" ontology and data are arranged very
differently. Would it be the goal to define how data can be found in each
database? E.g. in RepDose and Leadcope so that a programme that searches
for target organ/study LOELs finds them in any of the databases? In this
approach it would be useful to define  a controlled vocabulary so that
"similar" toxic effects will be found regardless which term the database
has used for it. INHAND could provide a controlled vocabulary for this
purpose. The level of detail has to be discussed.

I like to thank Olga, for her presentation of Protege on Friday. Olga,
could you please send me your presentation, so that I could have a closer
look on it? As far as I understand is it used to define a "new" ontology?
Right? Is this needed for OPENTOX as well?

As mentioned before, I would be glad to get some guidance what kind of
work is needed/expected.

Regards,

                        Sylvia
Dr. Sylvia Escher
Group Manager Structure Activity Relationships
Chemical Risk Assessment
Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicology and Experimental Medicine (ITEM)
Nikolai-Fuchs-Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Tel: +49 511 5350-330, Fax: +49 511 5350-335
mailto:Sylvia.Escher at item.fraunhofer.de
www.item.fraunhofer.de