[OTDev] OpenToxipedia Platform suggestions

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Mon Nov 30 16:31:09 CET 2009

Dear Vladimir, All:

On 1. At least as a first draft process to kick off discussion, we could
work like this:
a. we place no restriction on the entry of a term and its definition
within the context of the community based vocabulary development, i.e.,
the entrant solely needs domain knowledge of the term and definition
context alone (I know and can define the meaning of "reconstructed
epidermis" within then context of the EST-1000 assay, but may have no
idea how OpenTox classifies such an assay e.g., IS A A [in vitro -> skin
-> corrosion] and IS A B [ECVAM -> validated  - > 2009, ... etc.])
b. if such a term entrant has some knowledge of the ontology hierarchy
and relationships, they could optionally specify classification and
relationship information, "IS A A" etc.
c. Certain activities not done during activity b, could be added as part
of the "vocabulary curation" process, e.g., addition of synonyms, links
to other terms, definition corrections and clarifications...
d. Certain activities not done during activity b, could be added as part
of the "ontology development" process, e.g., mapping to concept
hierarchy and level, introduction of predicates, or possibly
introduction of new concept in tree for brand new assay or artificial
organ etc.

There may be other processes that work better/improvements
(suggestions?), but we should at least reflect on and agree such a
process, and taking practices and experiences elsewhere into account.

Even if new concepts and relatinships are introduced over time, I
suspect it is also key that we should first define the intial high level
concepts and scope for both the vocabulary and ontology work, and then
start mapping out the relationships to lower levels and and links to
neighbouring ontologies and initiatives.

Collections within Plone could be used to provide multiple views e.g.,
across different ways to classify in vitro assays. However I suspect
this may not be worth putting effort into, as we should move the
vocabulary work asap over to a more appropriate tool such as the
Semantic Media Wiki one Micha is looking at.  (Anyone have experience on
any import/export difficulties/restrictions between Rest Services, SMW
and Protege?)

2. looks straightforward at first sight to me, but again, perhaps
someone with prior experience can guide on what worked well for
them/what did not with recent SMW projects such as those pointed out by
Micha.  An area for ... go research more, setup a trial sandbox for us
to play with in coming days...!?

Barry