[OTDev] OpenToxipedia Platform suggestions

Poroikov V.V. vladimir.poroikov at ibmc.msk.ru
Mon Nov 30 13:35:59 CET 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Alexey told me about your "local" web-meeting today, and I would like to
make two principal comments.

1. When we are talking about terms related to the  "OpenTox" area, we have
to keep in mind that this is really an open space. A new terms will arize
permanently, particulartly due to the results of postgenomics studies. Some
of the terms will be related to the multiple categories, and in many cases
it will not be easy to define the categories at the moment when the term is
added to the Toxipedia. Therefore, it seems reasonable to organize the input
of new terms in alphabetical order with simultaneous (or subsequent)
categorization. As I understand from Alexey, this is already realized
through the belonging of terms into the "collections", isn't it?

2. If we would like to organize the terms in Toxipedia like it is realized
in Wikipedia, we have to arrange an automatic indexing of terms in the
sentences described their meaning with the hyperlinks to the appropriate
descriptions of the terms, which already included into the Toxicopedia. For
example, explanation for "Accute hazard" is written as:

"Acute hazard is assessed using observations of accidental human exposures
or by conducting LD50 tests on experimental animals, usually rodents."

Probably, hyperlinks should be provided at least for such terms as "human
exposure", "LD50", "rodents".

Certainly, such hyperlinks should be also arranged for the terms that were
added into Toxipedia earlier if the new terms are related to them.

Yours comments are appreciated with gratitude.

Kind regards,

Vladimir

Vladimir Poroikov, Prof. Dr.
Head of Bioinformatics Department
Head of Laboratory for Structure-Function Based Drug Design
Institute of Biomedical Chemistry of Rus. Acad. Med. Sci.
10, Pogodinskaya Str.,
Moscow, 119121,
Russia
Tel.: +7 499 246-09-20