[OTDev] OpenToxipedia Platform suggestions

Micha Rautenberg mr at mrautenberg.de
Mon Nov 30 12:40:42 CET 2009

Dear All,

as the Plone-based Content Management System on opentox.org will not
cover every need for OpenToxipedia and the OpenTox ontology, we think
about use an other software platform.
some of the main features should be
- easy usability (or maybe common like wiki-based software)
- possibility or interface for data-exchange between OpenToxipedia and
the OpenTox ontology
- OWL support (import, export)
- and at least everything an ontology needs

For discussion and in addition to Nina's list of existing ontologies
(http://www.opentox.org/dev/apis/api-1.1/feature_ontology/ontologies_existing/onto_list)
I had a short look into the Semantic MediaWiki, which is an extension to
the  MediaWiki platform used for Wikipedia.

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki

There are some examplary ontologies based on the Semantic MediaWiki
NeuroLex - the Neuroscience Lexicon
http://neurolex.org/wiki/Main_Page
and
BiomedGT Collaborative Ontology Development Wiki
http://biomedgt.nci.nih.gov/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Has anybody some experiences with this platform? Other suggestions?

best,

Micha