[OTDev] TUM services

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Sat Dec 19 01:05:33 CET 2009

Dear Vedrin, All Developers:

Again, thanks for the progress Vedrin / Tobias & all, but my concern on
the experience of this iteration is still acute - we are doomed to all
sorts of problems if we do not work with a common goal, agree to
processes and deadlines and stay with the agreed processes and make
them.  I think we can forgive digressions - by all of us (including me
at times!)- this time, but I am very worried that we continue this way.
This iteration has now gone ca. 3.75 months and has involved all sorts
of slippages. We can perhaps forgive ourselves for that because of an
early experience, early API etc., but I am not convinced we will be
successful unless we mature quickly for next iterations.  So I think it
is important at our next meeting to have a very open and focused
discussion on how we are documenting and releasing and testing what we
do ... and then definitely not ignore that.  So my opinion is that we
agree for example:
- the iterations are integrated and Use Case driven, and promises on
documenting and developing against that are kept as best we can
- we should reach iterations that are much closer to 4-6 weeks than 15 weeks
- what we are working to is a succesful OpenTox release not 10 x Org X
releases
- my agreement to keep development less structured in Rome was maybe (?)
OK this time but flawed otherwise

If we agree to document a Use Cae OR Web Service Release OR Test Report,
we are clear on how the process works and we then work that way.

Am I overreacting?  Perhaps ... but what I see worries me, unless we get
a better handle on structure, integrated releases and soon etc for
2010.  For example we can have successful independent releases by
partners and still totally fail on the project visions and principles
and use cases :(!

So what is v. important for Iteration 3 is not that we have Org X
services released from Org X, but that solution Y across Org X+Y+Z...
OpenTox services works for user A and B....(I understand that individual
service release was the focus for iteration 1 and 2...but I still would
prefer to see more connected thinking in place already.)

Saying it one more time in a slightly different way - all that counts in
such an effort is the common effort of "OpenTox" being successful - then
all active contributors will be successful. Again if you think I am
wrong say so... but so far I have often not heard anything very much
back at all when I take the pulpit on such issues and I am not inclined
to be a priest preaching to a vacuum.

And finally before I introduce a new role trying to manage this better
... even more important that we agree on how we proceed in next phase -
which does not have to be the same as in the "initial exploratory phase".

Barry