[OTDev] Needed some help with restlet

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Tue Jan 26 09:20:16 CET 2010

Hi Surajit,

Few more notes:

surajit ray wrote:
> I have tried to implement your idea in the attached example ...
>
> Whats the mediatype to be used. As you can see I have used
> *MODEL_ALL<../../../org/restlet/data/MediaType.html#MODEL_ALL>
> *

Not suitable, Model/* is not an RDF mime type
> Some other options I thought could also fit would be
> *APPLICATION_RDF_XML<../../../org/restlet/data/MediaType.html#APPLICATION_RDF_XML>

Yes, this is the recommendedMime type, Jena model should be serialized
with RDF/XML  option
jenaModel.write(output,"RDF/XML");
> *
> *APPLICATION_JAVA_OBJECT<../../../org/restlet/data/MediaType.html#APPLICATION_JAVA_OBJECT>

This is not recommended, besides for internal use for your service.  The
clients, as well as other webservices, using your web service may not be
implemented in Java and will not know how to interpret a Java  object.
> *
> *TEXT_RDF_N3 <../../../org/restlet/data/MediaType.html#TEXT_RDF_N3>** *

Yes, optional,

jenaModel.write(output,"N3");
> *TEXT_XML <../../../org/restlet/data/MediaType.html#TEXT_XML>*

Not recommended,  this is generic XML and will not tell the client how
to interpret the XML

Adding to my previous reply,  please have a look at OpenTox API 1.1.
documentation.  There are certainly things to be improved, but the
default MIME type is should always be specified.  If in doubt, use the
mime type, specified as mandatory.

Example:

http://opentox.org/dev/apis/api-1.1/dataset

      Supported MIME types:

        Mandatory:

    * application/rdf+xml (default)

> I must add that there is very little documentation available for the restlet
> API. It is very difficult to make out the options and their implications !

Agree.  Mailing lists are so far the best source for information (IMHO).